April 13, 2011

Polka Dot Spring Wreath

When I saw this spring wreath tutorial from Jones Design Company, I knew I had to make one!

And I knew I wanted to make it with polka dot fabric. It took me a few days and several fabric stores to find the perfect dots, but when i came across this putty-colored fabric with small white dots I knew it was the one! Of course it was the only fabric in the store that was not on sale that day so I only bought enough to make my wreath. But I am dying to go back and buy more. Wouldn't it make the cutest throw pillow?!


Emily from Jones Design Co does a great job on her tutorial so I won't repeat all the steps here, but I took a few pictures along the way. The first step is cutting lots of strips of fabric for the ruffles.

And yes, I use a piece of an old cardboard box as a "fabric cutting board" cause I'm classy like that.

Next, you sew a seam down the edge of your fabric so you can create your ruffles.
I loved the way all that polka dot fabric piled up in waves after going through the machine.

Next you make your ruffles and wrap them around your wreath form.

Now you can decorate your wreath however you like. Emily did hers with an adorable birds nest and glittered eggs. I wanted to keep my decoration simple since I already had a busy polka dot pattern going on. So I opted for one simple, white, fabric flower. The fabric flower is also from one of Emily's tutorials. Clearly she's a crafty genius and since I am not I love her DIY tutorials!

These fabric flowers are so fun and really easy to make! I've made lots of them and I've used them to decorate everything from pillows to headbands to this wreath!

Next I just looped a piece of grosgrain ribbon around my wreath so I could hang it.

Ta-da! Super easy, really fun and I'm loving it!


What's your favorite DIY spring decoration? I would love to see them!

1 comment:

  1. This wreath put a smile in my face.
    Congratulations for the lovely creation.
    Let me know your blog a little better before I say hello.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Comments, suggestions or just a simple hello are welcome! :)