May 26, 2011

a vintage spring mantel


I have a really hard time decorating this mantel. It's large, I don't really love the color of the wood, I don't really like the fireplace in general and I don't really like that oversized mirror anymore. All of those things could be changed fairly easily, but since we are putting this house on the market and searching for a new one I am resisting the urge.


In the meantime, I dress this little mantel up the best way I know how and try to ignore the flaws. I spent $3 on this entire mantel (the cost of the flowers). I just shopped the house for everything else.


I love vintage-y, white dishes.
My mom gave me this pitcher for Mother's Day. She bought it at an antique store in Florida. I love it.


And these little latte cups are from Anthro.


The candlesticks are also from Anthro, but they are really old. My Grandmother gave them to me at one of my wedding showers.


I love polka dots and try to sneak them into my decor whenever the husband isn't looking. I made this wreath based on a tutorial from one of my favorite bloggers Emily.
{Please ignore this horrible picture - reason no 5082 why I hate the mirror above the fireplace. You can see more wreath pictures and read about how I made it here}.


The vintage hankie under the pitcher was my "something blue for" my wedding day. It has my initial embroidered on it.


I love these inexpensive, hinged glass vases. They are from Hobby Lobby or "The Hobster" as Layla likes to call it.


I don't even know what kind of flowers these are, exept that they are the el chepo ones from the grocery store that are $3 for a big bunch and they last forever.
I made the clay tags myself. They were a fun little project and I hope to make more soon.


Cloudy day = bad pictures. Sorry about this one, but it was the only one I got of the entire mantel.

Linking this one up with Layla!
The Lettered Cottage

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful choices for something you seem to not enjoy that much, but spmehow by using things you do like you balanced the flaws and improved a space giving it the joyful and springly touch that made all the difference.
    An inspiration indeed.
    Thank you,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I would LOVE to hear from you! Comments, suggestions or just a simple hello are welcome! :)